Quietly, Gently, Slowly – Le Commandant Charcot and our Poles
A few years ago, even the idea of building a hybrid electric deep polar exploration ship capable of taking passengers to the edges of the earth in an eco-responsible way seemed impossible. But, on September 6th, 2021 at 10.30am, the first PONANT cruise ship reached the geographic north Pole during a test trip to Arctic waters. Her name: Le Commandant Charcot.
PONANT’s latest addition to the fleet, Le Commandant Charcot – the very first luxury hybrid electric polar exploration ship powered by liquified natural gas, is the epitome of responsible and sustainable sailing. Safe and low impact polar navigation is her area of expertise, taking advantage of the latest innovations and even developing new, market-leading technologies and solutions to make Le Commandant Charcot one of the most advanced polar vessels at sea today.
Some of Ponant’s sustainable policies include
- All light bulbs onboard are LED – saving 75% on electricity usage and costs.
- PONANT is the first company in the world to abandon heavy fuel usage
- 10,000 kg of single use plastics have been avoided by PONANT since 2019.
- All PONANT carbon emissions are offset by reforestation and renewable energy production projects.
- Le Commandant Charcot has a glass bottling system onboard avoiding single use plastic bottles.
Staterooms and Suites
Equipped with 123 suites and staterooms with private balcony or terrace, Le Commandant Charcot is fully in keeping with the PONANT philosophy: to provide a rare and exceptional ambiance for every passenger welcomed onboard and reinforce the feeling and sense of sailing on a private yacht.
Le Commandant Charcot Inclusions:
- Accommodation in the stateroom or suite of your choice aboard Le Commandant Charcot
- All shipboard main meals prepared by talented chefs using food sourced where possible directly from the region of travel
- An open bar policy onboard ensures you will never go thirsty. Most beers, wines, spirits, soft drinks and juices are included in your fare – whenever you want and wherever you want.
- Join in the Captains Welcome Cocktail and Gala Evening during your cruise
- Onboard entertainment, lectures and events
- 24 hour room service (special menu/selection)
- The services of a highly qualified bi-lingual French/English speaking expedition team
- Zodiac excursions and all off-ship activities on expedition cruises
- Park entry fees where applicable
- Complimentary expedition parka – yours to keep
- Loan of waterproof boots while onboard
- Port taxes and government fees
With only 245 guests onboard, space is in high demand on Le Commandant Charcot. If you’ve been inspired to learn more, please click on the link below.
On the White Continent, try to spot the famous emperor penguins of Bellingshausen, sail on the Weddell Sea to the Larsen Ice Shelves and explore beyond the Antarctic Circle to the Ross Sea or islands that have forged the legends of polar explorers.
In the Arctic, go in search of the most isolated regions: the geographic North Pole, reach the wild coasts of Greenland, the lonely shores of Svalbard or follow the greatest dreams of adventure in the Northwest Passage, and meet the peoples of this isolated great north, with its extreme living conditions.